Sunday, August 13, 2017

071417-The Seger Family Reunion!

 Our next activity for the summer was the much anticipated Seger Family Reunion in Escanaba, Michigan.  Escanaba is located in upper peninsula Michigan, or the UP as it is called by everyone that lives there, where my Dad grew up.  We got to meet up with cousin Kathy, who we haven't seen in a lot of years and also meet some of our cousins that we have never met.  It was a good time to go back and revisit some of the places I visited on my first trip through Michigan back in 1959, nearly 60 years ago.  Of course, some of the places simply weren't there anymore.  I'll detail that later.  But, some were.


Welcome to Escanaba!  It took all day to get there.  We drove from St George to Las Vegas where we hopped a flight to Chicago then a quick hop to Green Bay then drove up to Escanaba.  The flight to green Bay was only 175 miles.  I won't do that again.  Too much of a hassle.  It was only 300 miles from Green Bay to Escanaba so that's what we'll do next time.  Just drive the distance.
 
We met with Kathy and Ed up on 30.5 Mile Road to Perkins, MI.  We met some more of our cousins on our way over to Jim J Seger's and his wife, Betty.  Really nice people.  They talked for some time about family experiences and, I am convinced, that Seger's all over are the same no matter what.  They all act about the same.
 
We went out to a local golf course, had a great meal and looked at the beautiful scenery of upper Michigan.  Unfortunately, I didn't bother to get pictures.  We had a bunch of us there, though.  Well, I did but everyone remember to take pictures but by the time I got the camera out, everyone was gone.  
 
On our way back from the golf course, we stopped at a couple of local cemeteries and I took a few pictures for my genealogy.  This is my grandparents.  Edwin Westover Seger and LoRena J Seger.  LoRena died 10 years before I was even born.  Edwin was gone before I turned 6 so I really never even met them.  I don't think my dad went to either funeral but I don't know for sure.  Seger's have an unnatural dislike of funerals for some reason.
 
We then went over to another cemetery and I got a few more pictures.  This one is of Fred and Nellie Seger.  Fred was my dad's brother.  I met both of them back in 1959 and when they came out to California to visit my dad in about 1962, unfortunately just a couple of years before Fred passed away.  Fred and Nell ran a dairy farm in Rock, Michigan, a few miles from where he's buried, and we spent a few days visiting in '59.  I remember it well.
 
This whole corner was purchased many years ago so there is one headstone just to denote what family is buried here.
 
It was getting late in the day but this is the Seger corner of the cemetery.
 
"Peanut" or Dwight was our guide for the cemeteries tour.  We much appreciated his help.  Would have taken us forever to have found all the places we wanted to go.  A really nice cousin.  On to the next day....

No comments:

Post a Comment